So why do I recommend that my clients drink more? Well my experience shows during the treatment if the skin is showing signs of dehydration. After a reflexology treatment you may feel some symptoms of headache or flu, and making sure that you remain hydrated usually ensures that you don’t feel this way.
The reason water in particular is recommended by therapists is that the body has little else to do except absorb the water, it does not need to take out chemicals from tea, coffee or juices, but these are still all good things to drink, rather than nothing at all.
TIPS FOR HEALTHY HYDRATION
- Make sure that you have access to water even when out – take bottled water when you are at work or on the move.
- Sip regularly during the day
- Drink regularly during the day (not alcohol – it dehydrates not hydrates).
- Try drinking water before moving on to other drinks – your body can sometimes confuse dehydration with hunger, so making sure you remain hydrated may also stop snack attacks!!
- Make sure that you drink more when you exercise or spend time in hot or air conditioned environments.
- Young children and older people can dehydrate quickly so make sure that you offer them drinks regularly, but be aware that everyone’s needs are individual to them.
Bear in mind that whilst water is best, if someone will not drink water, but will drink milk, juice, tea or coffee, it is ok – in fact there are some minerals and vitamins in both milk and fruit juices. Be aware however, that soft drinks that contain added sugar should be avoided, as they not only add calories without nutrients, but are also acidic and may affect your teeth if drunk frequently.
Tea, coffee and caffeinated drinks should also be avoided if you are pregnant, the Government guidelines for caffeine during pregnancy are currently 200mg a day – this is equivalent to two mugs of instant coffee, two and a half mugs of tea or 5 cans of cola. Drinking water is therefore best for both you and baby.
I hope this helps answer your questions. Drink healthily and enjoy life to the full – even I need reminding some times!!!
Why not give me a call today and arrange to come along for a FREE consultation to chat through any questions you may have.
Call Cherie on 07900 352324